I’ll be seeing you soon!
I won’t be posting for the next 2 weeks. We are working extra days at the moment (my wife and I are fortunate enough to only work 3 days a week, usually). So, the next post will be on the 4th of August. Hopefully with some new project images.
Side note – I’ve hit 110 views and 20+ followers. Nice!
GOAL NUMBER TWO
Try to get 1000 views on the blog – any guesses for how long it will take? I’ll say by Christmas.
Thanks to the wonder of Facebook sharing, there have been 55 views of onlearninghowtoblog! (Particularly, views by my wonderful wife’s FB friends and family!) After one week, here’s what the breakdown of stats seems to be:
- 55 views of the blog (with 33 of then in the hours after the FB sharing)
- 11 followers (really it’s 10, because I followed myself to see how it’s done!)
- 10 likes (you can like a post or an image, apparently)
- 3 comments (one by me, again, to see how to do it and another by me as a reply)
- Visits by people from Australia (43), USA (2), SA (2), UK (1) and NZ (1)
- Most people read the blog entry (main page), but don’t click around the other tabs (maybe these are not visible enough?)
Thanks to all the visitors – keep coming back and I’ll keep it coming.
So you’ve got a blog – what will you do with it?
While I was dithering about whether I should have a blog, I was thinking about exactly what it would be for me. I have a list!
- A place for sharing pictures – good, but Facebook does that.
- A place for promoting photographic work – better than number 1!
- A place for sharing musing – not really my style.
- A place to write down (type in? got to find out what people think about that one) every thought that pops into my head – not my style and twitter does that.
- A place for sharing ideas – better than numbers 3 & 4!
- A place to muck around and see what cool stuff I can do.
- A tool for learning how to do something useful – better than number 6!
As the list reveals, every idea was eventually followed by a better one – and not always in neat little 1, 2 steps like you see here. I guess that as a teacher, I know that thinking and planning always beats jumping in when it comes to doing something meaningful. But here’s what I discovered – my epiphany, if you will:
My blog is not necessarily meaningful!
There, I said it! This really is just going to be all about Number 1 and Number 6 (with a little bit of Number 2, as you’ll see in the previous post). I finally made the connection that I don’t have that much to say – at least not that will drastically change anyone’s life, anyway – but I do really like playing with techy stuff. I am a little late to the blogoshpere, but hey, who’s worried about being late these days? Certainly not my cat.
My cat asking us to stop making so much fuss.
The next post will show how I got to this particular idea – yeah, I know how revolutionary it is, why didn’t anyone else do it first?
I have worked out how to add a few new goodies to the site:
- A new page with links to other blogs and websites that I use.
- Some of those links are in the form of banners (yeah, I know how clever I am :P) which are just basically images that you put a hyperlink on.
For me, these links and banners are a way of trying to get some traffic through to my (currently) very small stock photography portfolio. When my blog is HUGE, I will have more money than my cat.
My cat stretching and grinning.